Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Chapter Sixteen

~Revelations~

EPOV

I roll my aching neck from side to side in my bathroom while the steam begins to billow up from the shower stall. As the fog overtakes the mirror, something catches my eye and I grab a washcloth to wipe away the moisture that prevents me from seeing clearly.

What the..? Is that a hickey?

CRAP! So much for shaving today. I'm a business owner, for cryin' out loud. I can't go out to the bar and work with a purple bruise waving at everyone from my neck! Yeah, that's classy!

I shake my head at myself, still staring and…

NO! TWO fucking hickeys?

Jesus Christ, Tori…what are we, sixteen?

"DAMMIT!"

I've allowed the scruff to build for the last two days, mostly because I knew I wasn't going anywhere once Tori was naked and offering herself to me when I got home Sunday night. But last night, she said it was starting to burn and irritate her skin, and she's always preferred me clean-shaven, but now?

Fuck that noise! Call me a mountain man for the rest of the week, 'cause this shit is staying under wraps.

"Honey? What's wrong?"

The bathroom door opens and my very nude fiancée comes up behind me and wraps her arms around my chest, kissing my shoulder blades.

"Babe. You gave me a hickey…TWO, in fact. I'm twenty-five years old, Tor. I can't walk around the bar and hotel looking like I just got laid in the back seat of my dad's beater car."

"But you did just get laid…repeatedly, as a matter of fact." She giggles and starts dragging her fingernails gently down my chest. It doesn't take much attention to wake the beast. Though he's got some nerve, if you ask me. We've basically been having sex around the clock for the last sixty hours. I don't know how my dick hasn't fallen off. She's been insatiable, and if I'm being honest, so have I. Catching up for lost time in the bedroom and trying to chase away ghosts of cabanas past would be the understatement of the century.

Disgusted by the images of whatever James and Bella might have been doing with their private time, and what I walked out on Sunday night after the service, I've used sex with Tori as my brain bleach for the last two days.

Yes, she's my fiancée. And yes, I've missed her since she's been gone, but it seems that no matter what I do, Bella's on my mind, all the damn time.

More than a few times since Sunday night, I've closed my eyes wishing I was in bed with Bella, doing these things with Bella, to Bella, but she's with my brother and I'm here with Tori. If I could just get my head and my heart to fall in line and understand that, I might be able to move forward with some sense of peace.

Shaking my head, I come back to the present and move to still Tori's hand which has started trailing south. Even if my body is protesting, my mind needs to win this battle for once. "Tor, I can't…I need to be at work before the lunch rush hits; I promised J."

"Aww, you're no fun. What am I gonna do all by myself for the rest of the day?" She pouts.

"Go see your parents! They live down the road, silly girl! Check in on the plans for the party. Make sure everything is going to your liking."

"Meh. My mom's taken care of everything…she doesn't need me." She resumes the butterfly kisses to my back and shoulders. "But maybe I'll go spend the day with James… harass him while he's cooking at the B&B. Maybe he could use some company. You guys have a wedding this weekend?"

"No, a family reunion over in Philly. I'm sure he could use a hand, though. Maybe he'll put you to work peeling fifty pounds of potatoes," I laugh.

"Uhh," she snickers, "I think we both know I won't be picking up a potato skin peeler, that's for sure, but it'll be fun to catch up with him." I roll my eyes at her not-so-subtle way of letting me know she's not interested in hard labor. "Let me come to the bar with you and then I'll leave with him, is that cool?"

"Of course it is, why are you even asking? It'll be your bar too, soon enough!"

She answers with a smile that doesn't quite reach her eyes and resumes kissing me again. "Shower with me?" She whispers.

I spin around in her arms and give her a quick peck. "Can't. You're too distracting and I've gotta get moving."

~~~~~L~A~S~T~C~A~L~L~~~~~

Tori and I pull into the parking lot at 11:15, just before the lunch crowd starts to swarm.


We exit the car, threading our fingers as we walk toward the entrance. I open the door for us,and we're instantly met with hoots, hollers and ear-piercing whistles… word must have gotten around that Tori's back in town and kept me plenty busy for the last two days.
Tori's turning bright red and I'm rolling my eyes and chuckling at all the attention, when my eyes land on Bella, who's standing outside the kitchen at the computer station, staring at us.

My stomach lurches at the outrageous display being put on by my friends and some patrons. Somehow, it seems beyond wrong to have Bella know what I've been up to for the last two days.

Tori Braswell, Edward's fiancee

Her hands are still over the keys and I can see her shut her eyes tight. When she opens them, she turns and we lock gazes for a moment. She offers a half-smile and I raise my hand to her as if giving her a high-five from across the bar.

"Well, hello there, you two. Nice of you to join the land of the living," James is snickering as he comes from around the bar to greet Tori.

She smacks him on the chest and he feigns injury while laughing and leaning in for a hug.

I hear Tori and James chatting as I make my way back to the office to drop my keys and shades, receiving numerous slaps on the back and head nods from regulars who know I've been indisposed with my fiancée.

I make my way out of the office, take my place behind the bar and hear the rest of their conversation.

"Missed you, sis. How's the west coast treating you?"

"Spectacularly, thank you very much! There's nothing like it…nothing." I glance at her, realizing just how much she's gushing.

"Hey! Eastern seaboard representing over here; speak for yourself! What do you mean 'there's nothing like it'?" I tease and she blushes, looking down.

"Well, let's just say I've found my niche and I'm thrilled. Lauren's doing so well and every day is an adventure, whether we're just on the lots in L.A., or on location in the middle of nowhere."

"I'm happy for ya, I am. We just miss you being around here, you know? Don't forget about the little people, okay?" James jokes.

"So, want some company over at Four Seas today?" Tori interjects, changing the subject, "I've got nothing to do and I don't want to sit around and twiddle my thumbs while you boys are working!"

"Hell, yeah! Absolutely. Lemme grab my keys and we'll take off. Have you had lunch yet?"

"No, your brother kept insisting we didn't need to leave the bedroom," she giggles, "I'm lucky we ate Chinese yesterday, at least…some host he is!" I hear her pipe up that last statement to try and get a rise out of me.

I lean over the bar, attempting to shush her. "Uh, you were the one who claimed she didn't need to eat, and by the way, I don't recall hearing you complain," I whisper.

"No complaints from me, darlin'."

"Okay, enough! I don't need to hear all the gory details! Come on, kiss your fiancée goodbye, I'm taking her to a proper lunch."

I fist bump my brother and give Tori a quick peck. "I'll be home late, will you be there?" I question, sorta hoping for a night off already.

"Where else would I be?"

I reluctantly give her a wink and watch her head for the door, but not before I see James grab Bella's hand and practically drag her over to where Tori is standing.

My eyes widen as I watch the scene unfold in slow motion before me. Talk about fucking surreal.

"Wait, before we take off, I just wanted you to meet Bella. Tori, this is our newest waitress and my very good friend, Bella."

Good friend? Is that how he refers to it, these days?

Bella reaches her hand out and smiles, "It's good to meet you... welcome back….oh, and congratulations, by the way."

"Aww, aren't you the sweetest? Thanks so much! Hope my boys have been treating you right around here!"

Bella blushes with another grin, "They've been more than welcoming."

"Okay, we should get going," James says, offering Bella a wink.

"Enjoy your lunch. It was nice to meet you, Tori."

"You too, Becca" she smiles at Bella while I roll my eyes after hearing Tori use the wrong name. "Bye honey!" She blows me a kiss and I wave at her. While I'm filling my drink order from behind the bar, I notice that Bella and James don't kiss each other goodbye.

Bella walks back to where I'm standing, "Hey."

"Hey…how've you been? Sorry about that name thing back there," I offer with a smile and busy myself unloading the glass washer.

"Oh," she shrugs with one shoulder, "no big deal." …Insert longest, most painful pause in history… "We had a couple of busy days around here while you were…home."

Kill me. Just kill me now. How can I carry on a nonchalant conversation with Bella, after spending the last two days having crazy nonstop sex with my fiancée, all the while having all these powerful feelings for her recently?

"Uh, yeah…thanks for covering while you guys were down a set of hands, I appreciate it."

JESUS! Why do I feel like I'm cheating?

And on Bella, no less?

She nods, bobbing her head.

"Tori seems nice."

I smile and pray for this bizarre, awkward, ping-pong match of a conversation to end.

"Yeah, she's great."

I go for broke and try to be silly, even though I have to steel myself for her response, "So, I hope James wasn't too handsy, y'know…while you were working side by side. I assume he kept things professional?"

"Oh…no. No worries there. We uh, we aren't seeing each other anymore."

The beer mug I'm drying slips from my grasp, and before I can get a hold of it, it shatters on the floor, "What?" I whisper, well a little louder than a whisper, I suppose, as evidenced by the customers who've whipped their heads in my direction.

Bella rushes over and grabs the dust pan and broom as we both kneel down to pick up the shards.

When she's this close to me, I can detect the faint smell of her coconut shampoo. The stirring I feel down below right now, indicates that my senses are still EVERY BIT as affected by that tropical scent as they were when...ugh... just call me Pavlov's fucking dog.

"You guys broke up? When? Why?"

"Uh, on Monday. I just…I just thought he and I would be better off as friends, that's all."

She's single now? The universe is hell-bent on fucking with me.

"You broke up with him? Wow…you seemed to be a…" I swallow down the bile rising in my throat, unwilling to admit the obvious, "a good couple, I'm sorry."

"Oh…it's all good," she shrugs. "We talked about things…I think I just need time to myself. More self-discovery, if that's possible. Maybe look through all those albums…for pictures, like you mentioned."

"Huh. Okay, yeah…I mean, I— I'm sure James would've helped you do that." Why am I giving her reasons for her to consider staying with James?

I'm either an idiot or a masochist. Probably both.

"I didn't realize you were so pro-James and I…as a couple, I mean," she adds, her brows crinkled in confusion.

"Oh no, I'm not. I mean, I was…am. Just…I guess I'm sorry that things didn't work out." Goddammit, why don't we have earthquakes in Jersey? A meteor shower could do the trick, too…just SOMETHING to shut me the hell up!

"Hey Bella," Meredith peeks her head over the bar, finding us crouched together, cleaning up my mess, "…your order for table three is up."

Thank Christ for table three! Whoever's in the kitchen cooking right now is getting a raise.

"Thanks, Mere. Uh… I've gotta," she points her thumb over her shoulder and stands, handing me the broom and dustpan.

I'm suddenly facing a pair of long, luscious legs…less than two feet in front of me. I close my eyes and breathe in deeply, desperate to get a fucking grip.

"Yeah, thanks." I take them from her with a nod and dump the broken chunks of glass into the trash bin.

I watch her walk into the kitchen; my mind racing with the latest news.

They broke up.

She broke up with him.

She never really said why, except for wanting time to look through old photos. You don't need to break off a budding relationship because you're busy going through boxes of pictures.

There's more to this story.

Just then, a text message vibrates in my back pocket.

Miss you already, lover. ~T

I let out a huge sigh.

When Bella's in my company, it's like I forget Tori even exists.

But she does. And she's here. She's here for our engagement party.

My head falls backwards and I huff out a frustrated groan.

What the fuck am I doing?

~~~~~L~A~S~T~C~A~L~L~~~~~

BPOV

With the next two days off, I decide that I may as well do some self-reflection and some digging through the basement.

I spend Thursday on the beach by myself, trying to rein in my feelings for Edward, albeit unsuccessfully. James really was so fantastic to me, but I just can't get Edward's silky voice or his hot as hell image out of my head. Or how it felt when he hugged me. It was a comfort I haven't experienced in more years than I care to count.

Meeting Tori yesterday was like having an alarm clock rudely blast in your ear waking you from a blissful dream.

I can't keep this up. Edward's taken. I need to find a new distraction, before my heart gets too involved and subsequently, mutilated.

I called Rose last night, and asked her to spend Friday afternoon with me, sifting through some boxes to see if we can come up with anything of value.

"So, where should we start?" Rose asks as we stare at the endless pile of cardboard.

"Front to back, I guess."

Endless boxes in the basement
This basement is enormous, almost the expanse of the entire first floor. I'm sure I could turn it into some type of informal family room. Too bad I don't have the family to fill it.

For now, all I know is there are about thirty boxes staring at me. They're simply labeled "Bella", as if to symbolize that the answers to all of my endless questions are hidden within.

I can't help but feel excited.

We spend hours rifling through old report cards, art projects and birthday cards. My wedding photos are in the first two boxes, but I've seen them already…numerous times. Other boxes are filled with my parents' and my high school diplomas, their college degrees, certificates, awards and things they'd earned throughout their careers. Well, really more my dad's career, but my mom was always hanging off his arm with a smile on her face at the events where he was presented with said achievements. If there was an opportunity for my mom to be the center of attention, she was there! At least, we have photographic evidence of that!

I wish my memories of her weren't so jaded. I wish I had fonder memories to cling to other than her sewing a pair of formal gloves for me when I was fourteen. Oh, and let's not forget the weekends she "let me" have sleepovers at the housekeeper's home 'cause she had a granddaughter my age who loved to spend the weekend with me. Those were the times that my mom would escape with her other friends and go off to spas or to New York City for the weekend…never stopping to wonder if her consistent absence throughout my childhood bothered or affected me in the least.

My father traveled a great deal for his job, as well. That I do remember. Somehow, my mother never felt the need to make up for his absence by putting forth more effort and spending quality time with me. She just figured that our housekeeper would fill the void of what I was lacking in parental stability. I wonder what ever happened to Anna? Maybe that answer will pop up in these boxes as well.

"Oh my gosh, Bells, look at this!" I hear Rose squeak from the other end of the room.

"What've you got, Roe?"

"It's you in a bikini with some girlfriends! Come here, maybe you know who they are!"

I squat down on the floor next to her and grab the 5x7 out of her hand. I'm wearing a navy blue two-piece bathing suit and I'm surrounded by three girls. We're all sitting on lounge chairs. One girl has long, straight dark hair with glasses; another is blonde with shoulder-length hair. The other girl, who's much tanner than the rest of us, is wearing a baseball cap, so I can't tell the length of her hair, but I can see that it's a darker color, almost black.

Behind us, I see the corner of a pool and some other deck chairs and tables scattered around.

Aside from the girls with me in the picture, whose names I don't know and whose faces I don't recognize at all, my eyes focus on a tent-looking structure behind us.

It suddenly dawns on me that the tent looks eerily similar to the cabanas I saw with Rose and Emmett a few weeks ago in Ocean City, at that gigantic hotel that was familiar to me.

"Roe, is it my imagination or does this look like one of those cabanas we saw at that hotel in Ocean City…the Flanders?"

"Holy shit! Yes! I think that's what it is! Granted, they don't look like they're the same color, but that doesn't mean that things couldn't have been painted or changed around…you must be like sixteen in this picture…that was over six years ago! Do you recognize those girls at all?"

I stare again, with great concentration, at their confident faces and nothing comes to mind. I try and take in every detail I see in the picture.

It's a sunny day and there are shadows cast everywhere. We're all in bathing suits, towels draped all around. I can make out a puddle underneath the deck chair of the girl in the Phillies cap, so she must've just gotten out of the water.

There's nothing else of significance, except that I'm holding up a drink to the camera person, as if to say, "Cheers!"

I stare at the pink liquid, and detect bubbles and a few cherries floating at the top.

A Shirley Temple with three extra cherries.

That's my non-alcoholic drink, which makes sense since I'm most definitely underage.

Edward was right. This was my go-to drink.

"Are there any other pictures like this, Rose? Which box did you get these from?"

Rose grabs the shoebox she was rummaging through, which is decorated in flower stickers, and hands me a pile of photos to start leafing through. I see a combination of the three girls and me, in dozens of shots. The only things that seem to vary from picture to picture are the bathing suits and the time of day when the shots were taken.

In one picture, a night shot, there are two guys with us. Both are dressed alike, in blue polo shirts and white cargo shorts. I don't recognize them, but that doesn't shock me either. One of the guys has his arms around my shoulders and is pretty much looking down my cleavage, pathetic though it may have been at the time.

We're sitting at a round table, but all of us are gathered at the end to pose. Beer bottles and caps decorate the table top, as well as a deck of cards spread out before us.

Clearly, I was very close friends with all of these people, as evidenced by this pile of pictures.

Which then begs the question, why aren't these people in my life now?

Didn't they know about my accident?

Weren't they at my wedding?

Why don't I have anyone in my life from the past?

Yes, my family was small to begin with. Both my parents were only children. All of my grandparents had passed away at different times throughout my childhood and my dad's father was dead before my parents were even married. I can understand why I have no family by my side anymore.

But didn't I have any friends left?

Rose, much to her consternation, reminds me of Edward's initial opinion of me from several weeks ago. I can tell it pains her to hear it, but I voice my thoughts on it all the same.

"Maybe I was a mega-bitch," I shrug, starting to feel sorry for myself and sick to my stomach. "I seriously never had one friend looking for me after my accident."

"Bells, maybe you lost touch with all of them for one reason or another…you can't just assume it has to do with what Edward was saying."

I shake my head, really not knowing what to think. Questions, questions and more questions. That's all I have.

After Chinese take-out for dinner and another hour or so rummaging through memories long forgotten, I feel bad keeping Rose any longer and force her into her car around 11pm and send her home to take care of her hubs. Emmett called earlier saying he wasn't feeling well, and was collapsing in bed. We've been at it for hours, and she's been more than helpful. It's time to call it a night.

Taking a break from the basement activities, I watch a few of episodes of "Friends". They're reruns to the rest of the world, but to me, when your amnesia doesn't allow you to remember their original air date, they're brand new!

Once I'm done being a couch potato, I decide to go through one more box before turning in.

Surprisingly, I come upon a picture that stops me in my tracks.

It's Edward. Edward and I.

I look very young, maybe only fourteen or fifteen. He was certainly much younger than he is now. If I could take a guess, he looks sixteen at the most.

I'm sitting on his lap on a couch in what looks like a cabana from the hotel. He has his arm wrapped around my waist, with two fingers hooked in my belt-loop. I'm tucked into his side, my head resting on his shoulder and my legs stretched across his lap. I have such a bright smile. I don't know that I've ever felt as happy as I appear to be in this shot. Since I woke up after my accident, I've never seen myself in a picture with a smile like this one. Edward's also looking right at the camera, but his grin isn't as bright and toothy as mine…almost as if he was lost in thought when the picture was taken.

What does this mean?

I certainly don't look like I'm dressed for formal dancing in this picture, Edward!

In fact, I'm wearing cutoff denim shorts with a red string bikini top to complete my very casual ensemble.

Edward knows me a HELLUVA lot better than he's EVER let on, and I'm holding the smoking gun in my hand.

"I saw you dancing at a party one night."

Yeah, okay liar!

It's clear that he knows me much more intimately, if we're pictured all cozied up on a couch together, years ago.

Oh HELL no.

Faster than my brain can process what my body is doing, my flip-flops are on, keys are in my hand and I'm out the door speeding down the boulevard toward Last Call.

It's time for a long overdue chat with Edward Cullen.

~~~~~L~A~S~T~C~A~L~L~~~~~

EPOV

TGIFF. Thank God it's fucking Friday.

I feel like this has been the longest week of my life…and that's saying something, 'cause I've had my crop of doozies in the last few weeks. I finish the timesheets for payroll at the computer, reach for my clipboard and pen but dramatically crash my head to the desk instead.

I so don't want to do this at two something in the morning, but I can't go into the Fourth of July weekend without doing an accurate inventory of beer, liquor and wine. I've got no choice. Sacrificing one night of sleep won't kill me. I've done it before, I'll do it again. It's part of the package that comes with being the boss. Plus, I don't have to work tomorrow, so I'll suck it up tonight and just sleep half of Saturday away if necessary.

This'll be the second night straight of practically no sleep. There was no chance of getting any rest after the bomb Tori dropped on me last night at dinner.

"So, I've been wanting to talk to you about California."

"Oh, yeah? What about it?"

"Well, I've been thinking long and hard, and Lauren totally backs me up on this, so I think I wanna open a shop out there," she says non-chalantly before biting down on an asparagus tip.

"What? Why would you do that, when you'll be moving out here come the end of the year?"

Tori stares back at me. Suddenly, the pieces start falling into place.

"You don't wanna come back here to be with me?" I feel a pit starting to form in my gut.

"Of course I want to be with you, honey, I just think we'd do so much better out west! You could open up a Last Call out there! You could become a franchise!"

She's trying to sound cheery, but it's coming across as, I don't know, condescending?

"Tor, my whole life is here! I've invested everything into this bar and hotel, not to mention the B&B that J and I are ready to start remodeling…and don't forget how the catering business has taken off! How can you ask me to walk away from all this?"

"James is a big boy, just have him buy you out!" She's waving her hand in the air like what she's telling me is no big deal at all, "And Daddy even said he'd loan you any extra money you'd need to start up the same businesses in L.A.! It would be fantastic! Can't you just picture it?"

"Tori, my brother is twenty-three years old, he doesn't have that kind of money. But beyond all that, this is our dream! My dream with him! I can't walk away from that! I won't! Why are you acting like you don't know how awful and selfish this all sounds?"

"I'm being selfish? Sorry, if I want something for me! I want to be able to open a shop of my own!" I'm shaking my head, knowing I'm in the right, here.

"Yeah, but you said you planned to do that here, at the shore! When did you decide to scrap our plan to hell and establish your future business almost three thousand miles to the west?"

"Nothing of significance happens in Jersey, honey! Can't you see that? I know I said I would open a shop here, but I really need to be out there to be part of the action! Come on! We can totally do it!"

"No!" I stand up from my chair in a rush. "It's just unfair to blindside me like this, Tori! What? You're here for ten days and expected to come home, instead, you throw a monkey wrench into every plan we've ever made and you thought I'd be okay with it? Go along with it?"

"Jersey isn't my home, Edward. It hasn't been for over a year."

"Jesus, Tori. This is so fucking out of left field I don't even know what to say."

"Say you'll do it. Please. At least think about it, okay?"

"But what's there to think about? You're telling me that LBI isn't your home, that you can only see yourself settling in California? Where does that leave me? Leave us? It sounds pretty fucking final to me."

The phone ringing at the bar startles me out of my daze. It's after closing though, so we let it go to voicemail. I drag myself out of the chair and head for the stairs. The night's not getting any younger.

"Kate, just holler down to me when you're locking up, okay?"

"Will do, E. Hope you aren't here forever. When are you working next?"

"Uhhh, Sunday morning…you?"

"Tomorrow my dear, I'm Katie, remember? I've got nothing better to do!" She adds with a hearty laugh.

"Alright kiddo, I'll see you later."

"Okie dokie!"

Ten minutes later, I hear shuffling coming down the steps behind me. Assuming it's Kate saying goodnight, I turn with a smile and am met with a very confused and almost angry-looking Bella.

"Hi…what are you doing here?"

"I needed to see you."

"At this hour? Are you okay?"

"No, I don't think I'm okay. I think I'm deeply confused and I need some answers…and I know that you have them. Kate left, by the way. I knocked on the back door and she let me in."

"Alright…I mean, it's 2:30 in the morning, Bella…wouldn't you rather wait till the sun is up or something? Talk when we can think a bit more clearly?"

"No, Edward. I don't wanna wait anymore. You've obviously been keeping things from me, and now I feel weird approaching you because Tori's in town, but I need to know what happened all those years ago."

"Bella, I—…"

"No, please don't cut me off again and tell me you can't help. I know you can. Look at this picture!"

I don't even need to study it to remember when and where we were when it was taken. I had a copy of the same shot up until a few years ago.

"Wanna tell me why I'm sitting on top of you, for starters? Certainly, this isn't the night you saw me ballroom dancing with some stranger. You knew me beyond just one night, contrary to what you originally let on. What was happening in this picture, Edward?"

Damn. Of all the pictures she could've found, she approaches me with that one. The night I knew our feelings for each other, and the relationship we were hoping to attempt, were both going to end in disaster. And they did…just like I predicted. I fucking hate it when I'm right sometimes.

"I mean, we must have had something special enough to be photographed and held on to as a keepsake. What went on back then that caused you to be so distant and cold to me ever since I showed up with Rose last month?"

I blow out a deep breath and allow my shoulders to sag. How am I gonna swing this? She's not ready to hear the all crappy things I know about her. The pompous attitude and blatant disregard for decency that she and her mother and their cronies embraced all those years ago. I'm not prepared to hurt Bella like this.

But if I spill my guts on how I felt about her for all those years, and how we felt about each other in this picture, it's gonna open the floodgates. I'm not feeling strong enough tonight to hold my feelings for her at bay. Tori's bombshell last night cast major doubts on my feelings about our wedding and future. I'm not made of steel, people. My heart and head are a jumbled mess…one wrong move and I'm flirting with an affair, literally.

"When was this picture taken? I look pretty young," she presses.

"You were fourteen, I'd just turned seventeen…this was taken on my birthday, actually."

"When's your birthday?"

"It was several days ago, the 20th."

"Several days ago? Why didn't you tell anyone?" She looks shocked and sounds hurt.

"James knew, my parents knew, Tori—…look, I don't like to make a big deal of it. Plus we were in the middle of your aunt's services…I wasn't about to wear a party hat and expect people to sing 'Happy Birthday' to me."

"Well, I wish I had known. I would have wished you a happy day. Everybody deserves to have a happy birthday…a cake, a little party…"

"I haven't had one in a lot of years, Bella," I interrupt, causing her to look at me while her face twists up in horrified confusion. "A party, I mean…I haven't had a party since I turned 17."

Her eyebrows furrow as she realizes the bomb I've just dropped. I close my eyes waiting for the downpour of worms raining like artillery after the proverbial can explodes open.

"Are you telling me that the last time you had a birthday party was THIS night? The night where you and I are together in this picture? Looking like People Magazine's Couple of the damn Year?"

As Bella steps forward with the picture in her raised hand to emphasize her frustration, she trips on the doorstopper.

The hydraulics in the door have been on the fritz and I've been propping it open to ensure it wouldn't slam shut and lock me, or any unsuspecting person, inside.

I scream for Bella to step out of the way, worried that the heavy door is going to pummel her small frame, my concern for her trumping my fear that we'll be trapped without any means of escaping, until someone opens the door from the outside.

But with a loud and finalized thud, the door crashes shut.

No handle on the inside, no emergency exits.

We're stuck.

Bella and I.

In the wine cellar.

Alone.

Until Dave opens the bar tomorrow morning.

I check my back pocket and remember my phone is upstairs on the office desk.

I look at Bella who has her keys in one hand and the photo in the other.

"I don't suppose you've got your phone stashed in your back pocket?"

She shakes her head, the color draining from her face.

There's no chance of James doing a random drive-by; he's in Cherry Hill for the night, prepping for that family reunion we're catering tomorrow.

Tori's out with her girlfriends in the city for the night. And even if she were still on LBI, the last thing she'd do is pop in at the bar at 2 am when we've barely spoken since our fight last night.

Yeah, we're not going anywhere.

This has to be some type of karmic retribution. I must've stomped on baby hamsters in a former life.

I assume Bella's put two and two together, because she turns and slides down the door to the cool cement floor, her lean, slightly tanned legs extended out in front of her.

"We're trapped, aren't we?" She questions, looking up at me.

I throw my clipboard and pen on a nearby crate and walk to the door. Mirroring her actions, I slide down the door, too, landing next to her with my knees bent up and my arms resting on them.

"Yeah. Unless you're a mutant superhero who can walk through walls, we're here for the night."

Sheepishly, she responds in a quiet voice, "I was so overcome with the need to see you, I ran out without even thinking about my phone. Pretty stupid, huh?"

She turns to look at me when she finishes speaking.

I turn to face her and realize we're only inches away from each other. My only instinct is to whisper, "What's stupid? Leaving the house without your phone? Or being overcome with the need to see me?"

"I was thinking the phone…but if I'm being honest, maybe it's both."

"Why both, Bella?" My voice lowers.

"Because I never imagined I'd get locked in a cellar tonight…with you of all people. My engaged boss."

"Imagined being locked up with somebody else, didja?"

"No…but being here with you…well, I guess I just imagine that you're wishing someone else was locked in here right now…instead of me, I mean."

"No, Bella…with how I've been feeling recently, I don't think I'd want to be locked in this cellar with anyone else."

"Edward?"

"Yeah?"

"Who were we to each other? What's our story?" She speaks in barely a hush, inches from my face.

"It's complicated, Bella. I don't know if you're ready to hear it."

Our eyes are locked, unblinking.

"I'm ready if you are," she whispers.

Very slowly I lean in, watching Bella do the same.

Her breath becomes mine. I feel the heat of her lips before mine even graze hers.

I close my eyes and allow our magnetic pull take over. My lips gently capture her upper one.

We stay there frozen in that spot for a moment. Eyes closed, thoughts swirling, heat rising.

I feel her start to pull away but a second later, she's back with a wet reply. I open my mouth to her and our lips start to dance.

And as wrong as this is, I can't bring myself to stop.

Failed hydraulics may have put us here tonight, but something much bigger than that had her walk through my door last month and into my life again.

It's time to figure it out what it all means.

5 comments:

  1. OHHHHH!

    Locked in a cellar!

    And I knew Tori was going to do that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh....to be locked in a cellar with Edward. SWOON!! ;)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tori....that's French for Bitch, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha!! Yes, I believe that is the direct translation ;)

      Delete