Friday, September 7, 2012

Chapter Thirty-One

~Lights Will Guide You Home~
 
BPOV

"You know you didn't have to do that." Edward scolds jokingly, looking at the fragrant and colorful bouquet of flowers I've brought for his mother.

"Well, she told us, or you, three times that there was nothing we needed to contribute...and I wasn't about to walk into your parents' home empty-handed. I do remember Anna teaching me houseguest etiquette when I was a young girl!" I laugh and he smiles, pinching my side as we walk up the front porch steps of his parents' gorgeous beach home.

"Mom! Dad! We're here!" Edward shouts, closing the door behind us. He's held my hand since we left my house, letting go only to get in and out of the car. He's like a receiving blanket that I never want to relinquish. Something I got attached to when he was first introduced to me, and now I can't imagine ever wanting him out of my sight, let alone my grasp.



The Cullens' beach home in Harvey Cedars, NJ
We've been attached at the hip all day long since the journal revealed all things shitty and out-of-our-control earlier this morning. We spent time in the pool, me wrapped around him like a pygmy marmoset clinging to its parent. We kissed, we hugged, we lay together on my double lounger with simply a towel draped over our hips, lest an unannounced visitor show up and catch us doing our best Adam and Eve impression. In fact, we spent the entire time naked, up until about twenty minutes ago when we took a quick shower and threw on clothes to come to dinner. 

"In here, honey!"

We hear his Mom holler back as we round the corner into the kitchen where she's pulling a London broil out of the oven.

"Mmmmm, dead cow," Edward purrs, sniffing the baking dish.

I start giggling and he waggles his eyebrows at me, pleased that I loved his silly comment.
His mother straightens and smiles, her eyes sparkling.

"Hey son!" Mr. Cullen walks in from the deck and pulls Edward into a loving, fatherly embrace as they exchange pats on the back.

"Dad, Mom...this is Bella, Isabella King." Edward announces proudly, wrapping his hand around my waist and kissing me on the temple.

"Bella...my parents, Esme and Carlisle Cullen."

"Hi!" His mom cheerfully gives Edward a kiss on the cheek and then turns to me. "Bella. It's so wonderful to finally meet you. Welcome." She leans in and wraps me in a tight hug, which I'm more than willing to accept and reciprocate. "We're thrilled you're here with us," she whispers and winks as she pulls back from me, smiling widely.

Happy in love, Carlisle & Esme Cullen
"Welcome, Bella. So glad you could come tonight." Carlisle kisses my cheek and squeezes my shoulder.

Esme starts. "Here. You boys take all these things and set them up on the deck table." She points to a stack of dishes, glasses, linen napkins, utensils and a bread basket. "Dinner's just about ready. I need to let the meat rest for a few minutes before I slice it."

"May I help with anything, Mrs. Cullen?" I offer, stepping forward.

"Oh, you're sweet," she says looking around, "but there's really nothing to do. Plus, you're a guest tonight. Now, the next time you come over, I'll put you to work!" she adds with a wink and a wag of her finger. "But you can keep me company."

I smile at her request. For some reason, I'm not at all nervous. I feel comfortable here. She and Mr. Cullen put me at ease in the first two minutes of being in their home. I see where Edward and James get their charm from. It's evident from the demeanors of their parents.
"I will ask you to call me Esme, though. Mrs. Cullen sounds entirely too formal. And I get the feeling we're going to be good friends, at the very least." Another wink, another smile and I could happily fall into a diabetic coma. She's too sweet. I don't know if I deserve it.

I hope I do. I hope I have a chance to prove myself.

"Bella, I want to be honest with you and let you know that Edward told me who you are," she speaks softly while tossing the colorful ingredients in the bowl of pasta salad. "I didn't know too much from years ago, just that there was a girl who held my son's heart in her hands and it didn't work out too well. Of course, as a mom, I was saddened and frustrated that someone would hurt my child. But... things happen, kids are kids and young love doesn't always find a way. He didn't talk about it openly back then, so his father and I never brought it up. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that Edward confided in us that you were the same girl. I hope you don't mind, but he explained what happened to your family...and sweetie, I'm just so sorry you've experienced such a tragic loss."

I nod with a pensive smile, appreciating her carefully chosen words.

"I know we've only just met, and forgive me if I'm being too forward and presumptuous but as a mom, I'm here...and can be here for you...in a motherly way...if you ever need me, okay? I just wanted to put that out there, so you know where I stand. Carlisle and I are in total agreement. What went on years ago was then, this is now. This is what counts, okay?"
The tears burn in my eyes while I try to keep my emotions at bay. Edward and his Dad choose that moment to walk in and get the next round of food to carry to the table. He immediately crosses the floor to me when he sees that I'm welling up.

"Hey, hey, hey...what's going on?" His hands are on my upper arms and he's bent his knees so that we're eye level.

I shake my head with a soft smile and wipe at my eyes before the waterworks begin.

"Mo-om! What did you say?" he bellows over my shoulder.

"Esme..."

"Nothing." I wave my hands in the air, defending her. "She's fine...she said beautiful and perfect things to me. I'm just a mess. It doesn't take much these days to tip me over the edge, you know that," I respond as he pulls me into his chest, wrapping his arms tightly around my lower back.

Mmmm, he smells divine. Of comfort and Ralph Lauren 'Romance' cologne; seriously making my knees buckle. His scent has intoxicated me since I first started working with him. Back then, I couldn't do anything with my unrequited lust...now I can throw him up against a wall and suck on his lower lip whenever I want! I like it much better this way.

I will restrain myself right now though, what with only meeting the parents ten minutes ago.

"You okay, Bella?" Edward's father asks.

"I'm fine, thanks, Mr. Cullen. Just a little weepier than normal."

"Ah, ah, ah...please call me Carlisle. I'm sure you already got an earful from Esme," he adds with a smile which I return.

"Yes, I've got it."

"What else, love? Can I take out the corn on the cob?" Carlisle questions his wife who's busied herself carving the London broil into thin, angled slices.

"Oh, yes! And Edward, get the tomato salad from the fridge, would you?"

I feign shock as my mouth drops open. "What? I thought you said there was nothing to do," I squeal, hoping for a laugh I get from all three.

"Hey, like I said, tonight you're a guest. From here on out, you wait on yourself!" Esme adds with a chuckle.

Edward winks at me as he closes the refrigerator with his shoulder. He mouths "I love you" and follows his dad back out onto the deck.

A shuddering breath escapes. The kind you release after you've had a good cry and you realize that, no matter what, everything is going to be okay.

~~~~~L~A~S~T~C~A~L~L~~~~~
 
It's been almost a month since our first dinner at Edward's parents' home. He and I saw them again two weeks ago, when Carlisle treated us all to dinner at Plantation. It was a lovely meal, and even better because we all got to sit and talk and without having to worry about preparing, clearing or cleaning. It's fun to be waited on for a change, when all you do all day, every day, is wait on people.

We're actually expected back at their home again tomorrow night for a family meal, this time including James and Charlotte. I'm looking forward to another night in Esme and Carlisle's company.

Being with them is just so easy. Our dinners together could not have gone any better. They're welcoming, funny, sincere...parental. Even before we left their home that first night, I felt like Edward's parents were filling a void in my heart I didn't think could ever be repaired.

The looks, the smiles, the hugs at the door...it's a deep-rooted kindness, which was already evident from experiencing Edward and James for the last few months. This is who they are. No pretenses. Just good, loving, generous people.

I count my blessings more and more every single day.

After reading the gory details of how and why our relationship dissolved, we put my journal on the back burner and just tried to ignore it for a while. Busy schedules at Last Call as summer comes to a close and orchestrating the auction with Sotheby's took up almost all of our free time.

Honestly, we were truly thankful for the distractions.

Speaking of blessings, I'm flooded with them even more so that the auction is finally behind us. Somehow the values of all the artwork, jewelry and furniture that were on the block raised over forty million dollars.

I was astounded. I couldn't believe how the numbers were climbing higher and higher. It was fascinating and exhilarating. And the best part is that the four charities Aunt Didi worked tirelessly for: Coalition for the Homeless, William J. Clinton Foundation, The Hunger Project and Human Rights First will all be getting over ten million dollars each as a result.

My only problem now is that I'm living in this humongous house with practically no furniture or decor to speak of. It only took Alice a couple of hours to gather every paint sample and design booklet she could get her hands on before sitting me down and helping me choose the new look for my home in the days following the auction. It was exciting, but also a little overwhelming. When Alice could see that I was getting burned out, she would send me out to the beach with Tristan to build sand castles and she would take over the remaining decisions. I trust her. Her style is impeccable. I know she won't steer me wrong.

"Phew! Spending your money is exhausting work!" Alice laments, sitting next to me poolside one afternoon. I excused myself earlier from the arduous task of deciding on one of seven different shades of taupe stone backsplashes for the kitchen wall. I needed time with my nephew; his life isn't nearly as complicated; so I brought Tristan outside to splash around in the shallow end of the pool, neon pink and lime green styrofoam noodle toys in his hands.

I chuckle, "I'm sure it is. I trust you're not outfitting my home in gold lame or creepy paintings, right?"

"I skipped the gambling doggies, but you should see the velvet Elvis I got for you...life size!" She adds, waggling her eyebrows. Visions of Alice's kinky King fantasies flash through my head.

"Oy vey. I'm sorry I asked. Just...do me a favor and make sure you put the jungle room where you'll be sleeping when you visit."

"It's going to be perfect, my dear. Just know that your house is going to be like a revolving door of delivery men with huge packages coming at all hours of the day and evening."

"There was so much sexual innuendo in that last statement, Alice, I may pass out."

She giggles at my observation. "Sorry, Jazz is back to working all the time...I've gotta tap into my sexy thoughts whenever I can."

"Mommy! Auntie Bella! Watch THIS!" Tristan carefully perches himself at the edge of the pool, hovering somewhere around the dip where it transitions from shallow to deep. A giant, visible breath releases and he propels himself off the edge into the water. A moment later, he sputters to the surface with an enormous grin waiting for his due praise.

"Oh honey, that was amazing!"

"Great job, buddy! And you did it with only one swimmy on your arm this time! You are getting so brave, Tristan," I cheer.

"Thanks! I can't wait to show Uncle Edward when he comes home from work," he excitedly announces after climbing the steps to make his approach for leap number two.

"He'll be here any minute, bud! He just had to stop at the store to buy your favorite ice cream for dessert," I shout back at him.

"Chocolate chip?" the little guy squeaks.

"You bet!"

Uncle Edward and Auntie Bella...how cute are we? I mean, we were Uncle Edward and Auntie Bella separately for years before we were suddenly Uncle Edward and Auntie Bella the couple.

It makes me smile and want to burst from the constant loop of age-old princess dreams running through my head, when I think of the incredible guy who wants to be next to me as I continue to battle with the demons of who I used to be and what I put him through.

Just then, I hear the unmistakable sound of pebbles crunching in the driveway.

"Ooooo, I think I hear Uncle Edward, Tristan!" Alice sings from the lounge chair she's just stretched out on. "Bells, can you check on the baby? She's probably still knocked out, but I forgot to bring her monitor out with me today."

I stand up from the pool's edge. "Sure. I'm also gonna check on dinner. I'll send Edward out to say hi and have him report back about the baby."

Alice waves me off to acknowledge that she's heard me as I walk through the sliding doors and take the back staircase up to the spare bedroom to check on Emerson.

I peek in, as quiet as a mouse, and see her sleeping soundly on her belly; her teeny tush poking straight up in the air. She's so damn cute, I could chew on her. I step backwards out the door and suddenly feel familiar hands grip my waist.

I stifle a gasp knowing I'm not in danger; almost half expecting Edward to show up here. Whenever he finishes a shift, he always takes a quick shower before coming downstairs to relax for the rest of the evening.

"Aren't you a sight for sore eyes?" he whispers into my ear, wrapping his arm tighter around my middle and backing my hips into his. He places a few soft kisses on my neck, forcing the chills to explode all over my body.

I swear I don't know why I shave my legs half the time. Every time this man's hot breath and lips come at my neck, the goose bumps all over my legs instantly cause the hair follicles to sprout again. It's annoying as hell...but I'm certainly not putting a stop to the feeling of having him near me.

I'll tolerate the chronic leg hair stubble if the cause is my sexy boyfriend's constant affection.
I spin in his arms and capture his lips with my own, my arms traveling up his as I squeeze his bicep and whimper when he pulls my body flush against him.

Well, hellooooo...

His very prominent erection is poking me rather obviously through his jeans. That didn't take long at all!

Still lip-locked, I push him, backwards toward the master bedroom and, as soon as we're inside, I close the door quietly behind me and drop to my knees.

His eyes widen just for a second and then his seductive smirk spurs me on. My fingers work in double time undoing his button and zipper and finally yank his jeans and boxer briefs down to his knees.

His raging hard-on bounces in front of my face while I straighten myself up on my knees again and wet my lips. I hear him sigh as I glance up to catch his gaze.

I open my mouth and wrap my lips around him, taking him as deep as I can before pulling back and kissing the tip. I grasp his shaft in one hand and raise it up, licking the underside and swallowing him again.

My head starts moving forward and backward to create the friction as I suck in my cheeks and continue to swirl my tongue on and around his thickness.

I look up at my man. I see his head tipped back and hear some heavy panting.

I pull off, deciding to get really bold and sassy with my next gutsy request.
"Fuck my mouth, Edward. Come on," is my whispered invitation.

I watch his head fall forward. His brow furrows first in disbelief, then in pleasure, causing me to respond with a smile as I dive right back onto his cock.

He threads his fingers through my hair and starts thrusting in and out of my eager mouth. I concentrate on not gagging, but relaxing my throat to accommodate his impressive size.
I hear his grunts and hisses as he continues to pump his pelvis, never truly being rough, but definitely guiding himself and running this show. Remembering a BJ pointer I got from the girls, I bring my left hand up and cup his balls, massage them, roll them around in my fingers…and I hum in desire.

Edward must lose focus for a minute because I feel his rhythm slip and he pistons very fast a few times before slowing down and growling at me.

"Nnnnngh, Christ Bella, I'm...ahhhh, I'm gonna come, baby."

Hearing his struggle to maintain some semblance of composure turns me on exponentially. I love that I can make him lose control like this. I can feel my cotton boy shorts getting more saturated with each new gasp and groan that escapes his mouth.

I continue to curl my tongue around his dick and stroke with my hands what doesn't fit in my mouth.

His motion ceases, and my right hand, which has been planted firmly in the dimple of his ass, feels the dent deepen as he clenches his butt and the sudden gush of his orgasm fills my mouth.

I do my best to swallow quickly, but somehow manage to drip some down my chin and onto my neck. Although Edward has stopped thrusting, I'm still milking him and hollowing out my cheeks to gain as much suction as possible in order to draw out every ounce of pleasure for him.

I suspect I've succeeded as he loses his balance and has to lean his huffing and puffing upper body against the wall, his hands fisted at his eyes. I release his still erect cock from my mouth and stretch to reach my box of tissues to clean up my face and its presumed messy appearance.

Once I've wiped my face free of the traces of Edward's orgasm, I stand up and lean in to kiss his Adam's apple and he moans, cracking one eye open.

I give him my best vixen smile and walk into the bathroom to wash my face and gargle some mouthwash.

Less than a minute later, I feel his strong fingers on my waist as he attempts to tug my shorts down my hips. I look up at the mirror to make eye contact.

"Uh, uh, uh! No time for that. Alice and the babies are downstairs. Well, Tristan is. Emmy is asleep in the next room." He sighs and rests his chin on my shoulder, defeated. As a consolation prize, he cups my boobs for the hell of it. "Can you hold out for a few hours until after everyone goes to bed?"

"Tall order, babe. But I'll do my best," he grumbles, a scowl marring his drop-dead gorgeous face.

"You gonna take a shower?" I ask, drying my hands.

He yawns, "Yeeaaaahh," pulling away from me and rolling his head, his neck snapping, crackling and popping like a bowl of Rice Krispies.

That can't be good.

"I'm freaking wiped. If I don't come down in ten minutes, it's either because I drowned in the shower or I've passed out on the bed." I watch in awe as his gloriously naked body crosses the bathroom and walks into my shower.

"You better not fall asleep, mister! If you do, I'm sending Tristan up here to do the George Jefferson on the bed!" I shout, trying to project my voice over the water jets that have come to life.

"Who's George Jefferson?" he gurgles.

"You know? George and Weezy!"

"OHHH! The George Jefferson dance! Now I know what you're talking about!" He starts chuckling in the shower, but his laugh is sounding more like that 'Horshack' kid from "Welcome Back Kotter" I've seen on TV Land reruns.

"I love you, baby. You're hilarious, you know that?" He pokes his soaped up body out the door to address me.

I smile back at him. "I love you, too. See you in a bit."

~~~~~L~A~S~T~C~A~L~L~~~~~
 
The next morning after breakfast, Alice and her kids head back to Philly. It was a fun four-day visit, but we've accomplished our goals. We've ordered furniture, we've selected the paint for each room and chosen some knick-knacks here and there. She's basically leaving the accessories to me, but we got the lion's share done and I'm breathing a sigh of relief.
I have today off and Edward is coming home after the dinner rush. After cleaning up the bedrooms where Allie and the babies slept, I do some food shopping and water the plants throughout the house. I consider heading back down to the basement to go through a few more boxes, but that red leather journal has been sitting on my mantle collecting dust. It's been over a month since I read any more entries, so I decide to bite the bullet. It's time to dive back in and get some more answers. I leaf through and open to the page where we left off.

September 29, 2006

I've never felt so awful in my life. I thought my heart was breaking years ago when my Mom forced Edward and me to break up. That pales in comparison to the hideous pain I feel ripping me in half tonight.

Weeks have passed...almost a month since we said goodbye in Ocean City and I've ignored him the whole time. Granted, it was for his sake in not wanting him arrested, but that hasn't made it any easier.

I saw Edward out at Denim tonight. Never in a million years did I think I'd run into him at such a preppy, yuppie club, yet there he was. Just staring at me. The torture in his eyes...it was unimaginable. Then to twist the knife just a bit more, I shoved my tongue down Alec's throat so that Edward would get the message. 'Don't come near me, I'm not yours.' I've hurt him so deeply, I don't know how we'd ever recover, if given the chance.
About ten seconds after I lost sight of Edward in the crowd, I told Alec I felt sick and wanted to go home. Right before he dropped me off, I saw my phone light up with a new voicemail. It turned out to be from Edward. I've listened to it at least a dozen times already, memorizing every sound he made and every word he spoke. It only makes me cry harder every time I hear his broken voice:

"Yeah, yeah, leave a message. I've left...I dunno, like a hundred, maybe?

Anyway, this is Edward...or have you forgotten already? *sniffle*

Don't worry Isabella...there won't be a phone call number one hundred and one.

I'm done now. Your move tonight at the club effectively put me out to pasture. *hard audible exhale*

You're umm...just...have a good life, I guess. And be careful, if you can. I don't...I dunno.

You're probably fucking laughing by now. That's if you're even still listening.

I've always been a fucking joke to you. *sniffle, throat clearing*...whatever.

Soooo, okay. Hanging up now. This is my last call. I'm...I'll..." *click*
 
I stifled my sobs long enough to go searching through my closet. I bought a pre-paid cell phone at Best Buy the other day. I decided I had to try and get a message to Edward somehow without my Mom monitoring cell phone bills or even tracing phone calls like the freaking CIA.

Once I activated the phone, I punched in his number but got a busy signal. And not the normal busy signal, but the really rapid buzzing kind that indicates you've dialed a wrong number, or it's out of service.

I don't know how that's possible. I know this is the number he's been calling from. I'll keep trying, but if I can't get through to him in the next week, I'm driving into the city and tracking him down myself; I don't care what the risk is with my mother. There's got to be some kind of campus directory. I just have to let him know this has all been an act. A horrible, hateful, disgusting act that I'm stuck in and can't get free from until after a year of marriage to Alec.

Will Edward even listen to me? Again? He already heard my sob story last month when I asked for forgiveness over and over. Is there any chance in hell he'll forgive me...again?

I sigh rather dramatically and shake my head. Of course I couldn't get in touch with Edward later that night or for the next week. He'd chucked his cell phone into the LOVE fountain in Center City just after leaving that final message for me.

How apropos.

Calling me for the last time and then deep-sixing our only form of communication in a fountain that's dedicated to love.

John Hughes couldn't write a better script.

October 7, 2006

I just got back from the Penn campus. The student union wouldn't release anything but Edward's phone number. They wouldn't give me his address either. I used the campus phones to dial him and got nothing but consistent rings until a robotic voice mail picked up. I have no idea who I'm calling. Could be the wrong number, for all I know.
My head hurts. My heart hurts.

I don't know if I'll ever track him down and he's only going to keep hating me.

I put the book down and scrub my hands over my face. I need a freaking drink to get through this angst.

November 23, 2006 ~Thanksgiving~

I've got nothing to feel thankful for today. Except that my Dad still seems safe from any financial blackmail. He's completely oblivious to my horrid attitude. I suppose he doesn't see me as any different than I've ever been before. My Mom announced that the date for my wedding is set. December 24, 2007. Christmas Eve.

Awesome.

Another holiday ruined forever. Not only will I consider my birthday the day that never was, but I'll be in mourning for Christmas knowing that's the day I've officially turned away from Edward by tying the knot with Alec.

I couldn't give a shit about the plans. Alec's childhood friend is going to be my maid of honor, because I don't have any fucking friends that I want to watch me go through with this crap. Anyway, she and my mom are already the best of buds and making all the necessary appointments and arrangements. Like I said, I don't give a crap. Just send me down the freaking aisle and point me toward the groom.

I'll show up in my white dress and say "I do" for my Dad and for Edward. How fucking ironic. Marrying someone I can barely stand for the sake of the two men I love most in the world. I'll do it to keep them safe, to keep my mom and Royce from going through with their reprehensible plans. Even though they may not understand my reasons right now...and possibly never will... it's my only choice at this point.

I drain my wine glass and grab the bottle to pour another. Turning the page, I realize I've come to the final entry.

December 23, 2007

I just got home from the city. I was bound and determined to find him. I've been to Penn at least a half a dozen times this past year looking for info on Edward.


Houston Hall, Penn's Campus
Nobody seems to know who he is, except today my stalking paid off...sort of. I sat on a bench near Houston Hall, the student union, for most of the day. The campus is all but evacuated for the winter holidays, but this building still had people walking in and out of it. I happened to hear somebody scream out the name, "CULLEN" and I whipped my head around in time to see Edward walking through the doors, holding hands with some blonde and laughing. He looked so happy, so carefree.

I waited over a year to get a chance to explain myself, but seeing him like that today...I thought, why bother? He looks happy. He looks safe.

Just as I expected and feared a long time ago, he's moved on without me.

I have no business coming around anymore.

He doesn't deserve that distraction, not when things appear pretty great for him from where I'm sitting.

I'm getting married tomorrow. I shouldn't even bother writing anymore. Maybe in a year, after my divorce, I'll consider writing again.

At this point, I just need to stop, close the journal and walk away. Too many memories flood these pages.

I sit on the sofa, rubbing my temples. That's it. The next day I got married. A wedding ceremony, a reception and then a car ride that changed all of our lives forever.

The answers end here. Half of me feels relieved; the other half is still wishing there was more information around the corner...on the next page, but that's all she wrote...literally.

"Hey."

Edward's voice startles me. I must have been in such a fog, I didn't hear him come into the house.

"Hi." I attempt to muster a half-smile, his reaction indicating that I clearly didn't pull it off.
He notices the journal on the coffee table and sits down next to me, grabbing my legs and swinging them up onto his lap. Taking my left foot, he starts to massage.

Oh sweet, merciful heaven. What isn't this man good at?

"What's the story, pretty girl?"

"Story's over. I read the last couple of chapters just now."

"Oh, yeah?" he pauses, "Anything enlightening in there?"

I shake my head. "Just that I tried calling you back that night you saw me at that club in Philly, and of course I couldn't get through because your phone was sitting at the bottom of a fountain."

Edward stops massaging, his eyes boring into mine absorbing my words. A few seconds later, his head falls onto the back of the sofa. I notice his nostrils flare, his jaw tighten and I know what must be running through his mind.

"Hey. Don't start blaming yourself, okay? You had no idea that I'd try and contact you. I'd ignored you for weeks. I think your reaction was well within reason for the circumstances as you knew them."

He stays silent and I continue. "Apparently, I tried to find you in Philly for the next year. It said I went onto the Penn campus looking for you several times to no avail. Until one day...I found you."

His head snaps up, his look confused and sort of shocked.

"WHAT? I never saw you, what are you talking about? What did it say?" he asks frantically.

"Seems I stalked you until I was finally successful. Ready for the date I spotted you?"

He swallows hard, waiting for me to lower the boom.

"December twenty-third. The day-"

"...before you got married," he finishes with a somber tone. Then adds a "motherfucker" for good measure.

He reaches blindly for my hand and once we make contact, he threads his fingers through mine. He's still staring at the rotation of the ceiling fan blades, but he needs the connection.

I need it, too.

"You chickened out, then? Did it say what happened when you saw me?"

"Just that you were coming out of the student union and you were holding some blonde's hand. You looked like you were happy and…well… that you'd gotten over me. I guess a moment of unselfish clarity took over and I just walked away."

I hear him mutter something under his breath resembling, "…never got over you, Bella."

Though it's a sweet sentiment…and quite possibly true, it still makes me sad.

"Blonde?" he interrupts my melancholy thoughts, "oh man...Maria!" he gasps, his memory kicking in, "Jasper's lab partner. We'd gone out for a few months that winter...now I remember."

His thumb is rubbing across the back of my hand...calming me, calming him. He rolls his face toward mine with a regretful look in his eye, his lips set in a grim line.

"Sorry," he utters, barely above a whisper, "if I'd known you were there..." he trails off looking back toward the ceiling.

"It would've been ugly and unnecessary. After everything I'd put you through...I can't imagine you'd have given me a warm reception, y'know?"

He swallows hard again, with a slight nod. "Yeah, maybe you're right." His voice cracks a bit during the delivery.

"Hey." I tug on his hand and he turns toward me again. "Let's go to bed. I need you...I need us."

We walk upstairs and slowly strip each other of our clothes. It doesn't take much coaxing until I'm slick enough for him to enter me.

I wrap my body around his while we sit in the middle of the bed. I rock over him as he thrusts upwards, swallowing gasps and moans from each other.

Whispers of love drown out the thoughts of lost time and regret from the past.

We connect in the best way and fall apart in each other's arms before collapsing, sweaty, spent and more sure of our love than ever before.

~~~~~L~A~S~T~C~A~L~L~~~~~
 
"Red or white?" Edward holds up the two bottles offering our dinner guests a choice.

"Red, please."

"Red for me, Al?"

"White, thanks."

"Rose?" Edward offers.

"Umm, I'm going to just drink water, thanks."

It's as if someone let the needle drag across an old vinyl record. Six heads whip around toward Rose who's turned down a glass of wine for probably the first time in her life.
She widens her eyes, eyebrows raised ready to challenge the crowd.

"Rosalie," Alice starts, "do you have something you'd like to share with the class?"

I see Emmett smile from behind his bottle of Rolling Rock.

"Well, I figured it might be smart to lay off the drinks for a while."

I narrow my eyes and start in on her. "Oh, yeah? How long is this self-imposed prohibition going to last?"

She sighs and rolls her eyes but then can't stop the smile that shines through.

I know it before she says it.

"About seven months or so, give or take a couple weeks."

Our cheers erupt with clapping, whistles, hugs and pats on the back.

Rose and Emmett are going to be parents. I couldn't be more thrilled. I'm going to be an aunt for a third time.

The phone rings in the kitchen and Edward excuses himself from the merriment in the dining room to answer.

"Here. I'll finish pouring." James happily takes over for his brother. I smile and nod, giving Emmett a hug as tears of happiness gather in the corners of my eyes.

When I hear Edward answering the call, I enter the kitchen.

"Yes, she's here. May I ask who's calling?"

I look at him inquisitively and mouth, "Who is it?"

Shaking his head and narrowing his eyes, he replies, "Uh, okay. Hang on just a sec."

"Who is it?" I question, softly.

"Bellevue Hospital. A nurse wants to speak with you." He hands me the phone with a shrug and a quick kiss on my cheek.

"Hello, this is Bella."

"Hi, Ms. King? This is Shelley Cartwright, I'm a hospice nurse at Bellevue Hospital in New York City."

I nod my head, "Okay. How can I help you?"
Edward crosses his arms and leans against the kitchen island.

"We have a patient here who's asking for you. He says you're his next of kin."

I can't imagine I've heard her correctly. "Pardon me?" I shake my head. "Next of kin?"

"Yes, ma'am. For a Mr. Royce King. He says you're his daughter-in-law. He was just admitted to our hospice a couple of hours ago and doesn't have much time, to be perfectly honest, ma'am. Mr. King insisted we call; he's desperate for you to come to see him."

1 comment:

  1. I'm just sooo into this story, I can't stop to leave comments! Until now!
    Omg! Royce! What a mfer!

    Her journal just broke my heart, knowing she went through all that and the reasons why. I kinda figured her mom had a lot to do with it, but still.
    That poor girl!

    Now onto the next chapter, I gotta see what this rat bastard has to say!

    ReplyDelete