Thursday, September 6, 2012

Chapter Twenty-Seven

~When You're Happy Like a Fool~

EPOV

"Mr. Swan? May I speak with you for a minute?

"Sure, Edward. What's up?"

"Umm, I thought you should know that over the weekend, well Saturday night, I took care of Isabella and stayed in your penthouse overnight to make sure she was okay...she-"

"Oh, that's right. She told me yesterday when we got back. She said she had twisted her ankle and you had to carry her up to the room and stuck around to help her manage. I appreciate you looking out for her. She was hobbling quite a bit yesterday."

What? Hobbling around? Twisted ankle? What kind of G-rated version of the story is this?

"She did fall down, sir, and possibly twisted her ankle at some point, but I was referring to Mr. King...both of the Kings actually, and what they did...to her."

"Royce and Alec? What do you mean? What did they do to her?" he questions, concerned.

There's no way to deliver this shitty news lightly.

"I overheard them place bets during a poker game and they put your daughter up as collateral, sir. If they lost the hand, which they did, they were going to send Isabella home with the winner."

"What do you mean, 'send her home with the winner'?"

Jesus, this is so fucked up. Ugh. I just have to be brutally honest and not mince words here.

"Sir, I believe that the winner of the hand of poker was going to be able to bring Isabella home as a prize. To be used...for sex. That's when I stepped in and got her out of there and up to your room."

I watch the color drain from Mr. Swan's face as he shakes his head and confusion mars his features. He stares at me for what feels like an eternity, but then clears his throat.

"Edward. I don't know what you think you heard, but I'll take it under advisement because I know you care about my daughter. I do appreciate you watching over her on Saturday night while we were out of town. I'll discuss this with both Royce and Alec and get to the bottom of it." His voice, though firm, seems a bit shaken.

I nod solemnly, not having much else to say on the matter...I'm just the tattle-tale messenger.

He takes the Royal Manhattan I've just delivered and walks away from me, effectively ending our discussion.

There's nothing more I can do. I hope he believes me, but I know in my gut that Royce and Alec are going to talk their way out of this shit.

Isabella's never going to be safe around them.

My eyes pop open.

Aww, dammit.

As with every other camping experience in my life, as soon as the sun starts to break, my sleep is all but over.

I shake my head at the flashback of a really fucked-up moment in time. I wish things had changed after the talk I had with Mr. Swan. I wonder what, if anything, Royce and Alec said to appease Bella's dad to the point that he actually walked her down the aisle to marry into that loathsome family.

I don't know that we'll ever know...and maybe, it's best that we don't. Your parents are supposed to protect you. And when she speaks about her dad, it's only ever been with fondness.

I wonder if the journal holds more answers. I hope they don't break her heart. This discovery is looking more and more like a double-edged sword to me.

She'll get answers, yes. But will she want to really know what happened?

I rub my hands brusquely over my face to try and clear my mind. Reaching behind my head, I grab my phone to check the time: 5:48 am.

Good God.

Bella's warm body feels fucking incredible pressed against mine. My morning wood is already making its presence known to her ass, which is pulled tightly into my hips.

"You 'wake?" I whisper into her hair.

"No," she grunts, "couldn't possibly be. Didn't we just fall asleep ten minutes ago?" she mumbles and whines, all wrapped up in one response, tightening the blanket over her shoulder.

Poor thing. She's pretty much on the money, though. It wasn't the most restful night of sleep on the record books. We heard crackles and scratches from nocturnal woodland critters outside our tent throughout the night. Night-flying creatures made all sorts of squawking ruckuses as well.

There was also a rain cloud that managed to park itself over our section of the forest for a good chunk of the night. In my excitement at the thought of bringing her out here, I never thought to check the weather to make sure it was a decent night to stay outdoors. The tent held up nicely; we certainly didn't have any leaks to contend with, but the "tap-tap-tap" of little raindrops on the nylon all night long became tedious.

Assuming she's not used to the sounds of wildlife and nature in general, this experience was certainly a baptism by fire.

Thankfully the temperature dipped a bit during the night; we even needed to huddle up to keep warm. It definitely was a nice change from camping trips in the past. I've had way too many summer trips where the heat is unbearable. Few things are more disgusting than trying to fall asleep in the suffocating heat and then waking up sweating in a sticky, humid tent surrounded by stale air.

She tossed and turned in (and sometimes out of) my arms for the bulk of the night. I patiently chuckled as she switched from side to side or stomach to back. There were moments when our limbs were tangled together and others when she pushed away, leaving a lonely, gaping space between us.

She didn't know where to throw herself.

I told her we could conk out in the car with the seats fully reclined; she just shrugged me off saying she'd be fine.

I offered to drive us back home, but she didn't want to do that either.

When I suggested rocking her to sleep in my own special way, she giggled and spread her legs for me.

It was quick, it was dirty, and it was fan-fucking-tastic.

And I'm a man of my word; we were both unconscious ten minutes later.

In total, we probably got about three hours of sleep, if we're lucky.

"Hey, I have an idea. Let's throw on our clothes, I'll break down the tent, we'll drive back up the path to the tower, check out the daylight view and I promise I'll have you back home in your comfy bed by eight o'clock, sounds good?"

She sits up immediately, as if electro-shocked into consciousness. Her slender back calls to me, but at the same time taunts me by obscuring the sexy delights residing on the front of her body. Then, almost reading my needy thoughts, she turns my way, eyes wide open, and a surprised smile flashes across her gorgeous face just as the sleeping bag falls away from her phenomenal tits.

"On second thought, scratch that...I know what we should do first." I reach out and tug on her upper arm, forcing her to fall onto my bare chest with a giddy "oomph".

She "hmms", her face buried in my neck. My fingers begin to roam, tug and dip for a few moments, but then she props herself up on my chest; a quirk in her eyebrow with my name written all over it.

"Oh, no you don't, mister. No more nookie for you until we can be clean together."

I waggle my eyebrows. "Oooooh, this sounds like an enticing invitation. Is your shower big enough for two?"

"It's big enough for ten, Edward. Now quit tempting me with your sexy ways. You promised me an amazing daylight view...let's do it, Ranger Rick!"

~~~~~L~A~S~T~C~A~L~L~~~~~

After about ten minutes perched at the top of the fire tower, "oohs and ahhs" aplenty for the first minute, the next nine spent making out, Bella and I find our way back down to the car.

Bringing her to Apple Pie Hill was an awesome idea, if I do say so myself. I don't know why it didn't dawn on me earlier that I'd brought her out here years ago, having almost as much fun back then as we did this time around.

My inner horny guy smirks.

Since she walked through the door of Last Call in May up until a week ago, I've only dwelled on the nasty memories I have of our past interactions. It was a self-preservation of sorts, knowing I couldn't have her, all the while my desire for her growing stronger by the day. Funny, all I was doing was fighting against the tide.

"Hey, what're you thinking about?" She pulls me from my musings, grasping at my fingers that have been rubbing her thigh since we pulled onto Route 72.

I glance over and smile. "Just in awe of our current situation. How things changed so quickly in such a short time...for both of us."

She half-smiles and nods in agreement. And then bites her lip.

I've been studying her for the last several weeks. It's her tell when she needs to bring up something she's unsure about.

"So umm"

"Talk to me—"

We both speak at the same time and laugh at each other when we pause, mid-sentence.

"I'm sorry, what were you saying?" she initiates.

"No, please. Ladies first. What's on your mind?"

"Well, I just was wondering. I mean...I think I know the answer here, but I just want to say it out loud."

I huff, chuckling at her nervous vamping.

"Hey. Be vulnerable, remember?" I encourage, giving her fingers a squeeze.

She nods and swallows. "Am I your girlfriend now? I feel kinda ridiculous asking that when to anyone who knows you, you were engaged as of two days ago."

I nod, understanding her unease. "Listen, I know last week we talked about waiting to let outsiders know about us, but… in light of what went on over the weekend, I know the story of the breakup has spread like wildfire at this point. I'd forgotten to tell you that Katie knew I called off the engagement last week. I had confided in her in a phone call. Then, after Jack's display on Saturday, she texted and called me several times while I was out looking for you. She was worried about me. She was worried about you. She's a smart cookie. Apparently, she knew we were meant to be way the hell before you or I did," I add, laughing.

Bella blushes and looks out the window. "I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. She caught me staring at you a few times over the last few weeks. Just giving me a wink or a nudge, but never addressing it."

"HA! You're kidding me! That little stinker. She caught me watching you, too!"

We both start laughing at Kate's back-door, stealthy and subliminal matchmaking skills.

"When I couldn't find you on Saturday, she told me she was just waiting for us to figure it out for ourselves. She didn't want to say a word while Tori and I were still together, but she let her feelings be known after Jack's big display that afternoon, let me tell you," I laugh, shaking my head remembering the choice names she called Tori and Jack during our phone calls that night.

"Oh, my gosh. Kate is so funny."

"That she is. Anyway, I know she let all the staff know just how NOT together Tori and I were and not to believe any of the lies or crap Jack was spewing. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone from the hotel and restaurant knows at this point. So anyway...to make a long story short, I don't think we need to hide from anyone anymore."

A smile plays on her lips. "Yeah?"

"Yeah," I repeat, grinning. "You good with that?"

She nods exuberantly, "Very good with that. Excited, actually."

I lick my lips, slowly pulling on the lower one with my teeth. "I'm excited, too. I wanna tell everyone you're mine...shout it from the rooftops. Kiss the hell out of you whenever the mood strikes!"

She's laughing and blushing and holding my hand even tighter than when we started our drive.

And I'm fucking high on love and fresh air.

~~~~~L~A~S~T~C~A~L~L~~~~~

"You coming?" Bella peeks her head out of the bathroom, asking in a delicious, tempting, yet shy manner...her doe eyes in full effect.

I have to adjust myself. Down, boy.

"Yeah, I'll be right there. I have to return this call to my mom. She's been worried about me since the party and I promised her I would contact her after talking to Tori yesterday, but I never did."

"Oh, no problem. I'm getting in, but I'll save some hot water for you," she adds with a wink and closes her bathroom door.

I walk out on the deck of her bedroom and sit in one of the Adirondack chairs while I dial Mom.

"Edward Anthony Christopher Cullen."

Oh shit.

The Confirmation name, too? Jesus, am I in trouble.

"Hi, Momma."

"No, don't 'hi momma' me. You're not buttering up this lady. I wasn't born yesterday! You can't pull that mess with me. Why didn't you return my calls yesterday, young man?"

"Ma, I'm sorry I didn't call you back. I was busy. I went…camping, actually. And I didn't even get the other two messages from last night until just now. But I took care of Tori...and Jack for that matter. It's a done deal."

"Okay. Care to expound on that for your mother?"

"You know she lives for details, son! She's a lawyer!" I hear my father shouting in the background, making me laugh.

"Just that Tori knew Jack had bought the salon a while back. It wasn't until after we broke up last week that Jack bought the restaurant and the house, though. He told Tori I'd come around. He's fucking delusional, Ma."

"Language, Edward! But yes, you're right. He's beyond fucking delusional."

I can't help the guffaw that escapes, listening to my mother curse like a sailor.

"Nice, Mom."

"Thank you. Now spill about Bella."

Here we go. That took all of twenty-seven seconds.

"What do you want to know?"

"Edward, quit being evasive. Clearly, this girl is important to you. You called out to her as she ran away from the barbeque. You left the party you were co-hosting in search of her. She works for you and you've NEVER dated anyone who works for you, AND James went on several dates with her, yet you're the one chasing her down! Don't act like there's nothing to explain. Now, who is she?"

"Okay, okay… relax." I pause, unsure how to pour my heart out to my mom without sounding like a lovesick fool...meh...if the shoe fits. "She was the one, Mom. THE one that drove me crazy during high school and college...the girl from the Flanders."

"NOOO!" My mom gasps realizing she's just been dished the world's juiciest piece of gossip.

I can't help but laugh at her enthusiasm. "Yeah. It's her."

"You're KIDDING! Oh my God, honey! See? Carlisle, I KNEW it...all those years ago. I knew you were running away from something epically important when you left that job. These boys think they can fool me; you can't fool a mother! I know when the arrow strikes! I know when it's the real deal! You were smitten with her from day one, even when you thought you hated her, you loved her."

I pull the phone away from my ear shaking my head, silently snorting at my mother and the speech she's basically giving to herself. I'm not meant to answer, neither is Dad. She just needs to bask in the glow of being 'right' all those years ago.

"Hello? Edward?" My mom's shouting alerts me to the fact that maybe I ignored her diatribe a few seconds too long.

"Yeah, sorry Mom, I'm here."

"Oh, there you are. Okay. Well, listen, Dad and I are in LBI every other weekend from here on out through the rest of the summer, you know! We expect to have her over for plenty of dinners, alright? I need to finally meet the girl who captured my son's heart all those years ago. But wait a second, she made you crazy too, if I remember correctly. You sure she's changed and not about to put you through the wringer again?"

Uh oh, damage control time.

"She's changed, Mom. So much about her is different. It's a really long story that I definitely want to tell you, but I have to get going." I've got a dripping wet girlfriend waiting for me.

"Well, I've always trusted your ability to judge people and if you say she's everything you always wanted her to be, then I'm thrilled for you."

"WE!" My poor Dad, desperately trying to be a part of this conversation.

"We, yes, we are so happy that you found each other again!" She sighs, dramatically. I can picture her clutching at her heart. "This is the kind of story that makes people believe in love. I'm so excited for you, honey."

"Thanks, Mom. And I'll make sure she's around for your dinners. Just give me the dates and I'll get her to your table, I promise."

"Good. That's all I ask. Oh, sweetie... this is just the best news. First Char comes back for James and now you and your beautiful Bella. I only saw her from across the lawn on Saturday when James pointed her out...her name really does fit, doesn't it?"

"Oh, Mom...she's incredible. Everything about her. She's just...sensational." I feel like I could to break into song.

I can't help it though; talking to my Mom will turn any guy's guy into a gushing touchy-feely fool.

"Dad and I are on our way into the office now, but we'll be back down soon, so plan for next Saturday as our first dinner date, okay?"

"Alright, Mom. Love you. Drive safely."

"Love you too, honey."

"Bye son!" I hear my Dad shouting in the background again.

"Love to Dad, too, Mom."

"Bye."

PHEW! Survived the firing squad. I knew she'd be happy for me knowing I was happy; I was just a little concerned that she'd morph into 'Mama Bear' mode once finding out that the girl who tortured me in the past is the one I've truly loved all along and can't believe is next to me right now.

Speaking of which...

I walk back into the bedroom, stripping along the way. I'm through the door into the master bath just as Bella is climbing out of the shower.

"WHAT?" I shout, pointing. "No way! You were only in there for like, two minutes! You can't POSSIBLY be clean already!" I'm flipping out like a kid whose favorite toy was just stolen by a bully on the playground. I'm feeling deprived of quality time with a very naked and very wet Bella.

She starts laughing and wraps a teeny towel around her body. Massive amounts of cleavage showing and the bottom BARELY covering her rockin' ass.

Damn. And here I stand, high and dry...literally.

She's too gorgeous to stay covered up. Maybe I can convince her that when we're not out in public, it just makes more sense to remain naked. You know, cut back on the laundry... water conservation and all. I like to think I'm going green.

"Will you come back in and join me?" I extend my hand to her and give the best puppy-dog eyes expression I can muster. My mother dubbed it the "Cullen Killer" years ago.

She rolls her eyes with a smile and drops the towel.

Yesssssssssssss.

"Come on, dirty boy. Let me help get you clean."

BPOV

I turn on the water, adjusting the temperature as the rainwater shower head explodes to life.

Next come the side jets.

The water pounds against his gorgeous body. I watch Edward's eyes roll back in his head as he groans in relaxation. Tipping his head, he soaks his hair and runs his fingers through his locks.

His biceps and triceps flex with each movement of his arms.

I cannot believe this man is mine.

And he wants me.

I shake my head and try to come back to the main focus here. Naked, wet Edward.

He's hard as a rock. EVERY blessed inch of him.

Bella goo, take two.

"Wanna soap me up, pretty girl?"

Yes please, although I think what I say comes out more like, "Huminnahuminnafuckmedead."

His larger-than-life smile bursts onto his face and he pulls me flush against him.

Naked and wet together.

I start melting as he begins with his little kisses under my ear and down toward my collar bone, his hands roaming from my stomach to my hips and finally landing on my ass.

Although I know that I may regret this later, I just don't know if I can handle sex again. We've done it four times in less than thirty-six hours. I feel raw. A girl just can't get loved up by Edward and all of his...manliness...and not feel the effects for a good long time.

It's been the best kind of soreness but I might cry if he goes there again right now.

Nnnnngh, his lips are working their voodoo magic and I'm about to cave.

"As much as I would love to take you right here, I can't imagine that you're not sore," his low voice...freaking sex personified.

I look up at him, nodding, with a disappointed expression on my face.

"I'm sorry. I think we need to wait a bit...if that's okay with you."

He juts out his head in disbelief. "If it's okay with me? I don't want to hurt you...in ANY way...and that includes sex, Bella. C'mere."

He pulls me in for a tight hug.

God, I feel so safe in his arms. Like nothing out there can hurt me anymore.

I may not remember him from the past, but the fact that he remembers me, remembers us; it makes me feel like a family member has come back for me.

Someone who only wants me to be happy and keep me safe.

It's the best feeling in the world. And I never thought I'd feel it again.

It feels like home.

I walk Edward backwards to sit him on the tile bench and shampoo his hair, giving him a head and scalp massage while I'm at it. He has me in hysterics with all of his groans and curses because it feels so great to him.

I'm standing in between his knees; he's hunched over as I finish, making sure he's bubble-free.

"Okay, you're perfect!" I announce and he lifts his head and places a kiss at the top of my stomach. He then wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me into his embrace.

I'm ready to step back to allow him to stand, but instead, he scoops his arm under my knees, lifts me up, and sits me directly on his lap.

"I need a kiss," he quietly demands, eyes locked on mine.

I smile softly and lean in.

It's chaste...but only for a few seconds.

Moments later, it becomes open mouths, lips pulling and sucking; our tongues adding into the equation.

This is it. I know it is.

"I love you, Edward." I whisper, after I pull away from his kiss.

His arms, which have been around my waist while we were seated, come up to my face. His fingers thread through my hair as his thumbs rub back and forth over my cheeks.

A barely there smile, eclipsed more than anything else by intensity and sincerity, resides on his face.

"I love you, Bella, and I can't believe I found you again."

A huff of happiness escapes me; I feel the tears burn in my eyes.

"I can't believe this is real," my voice strains as I try to hold it together, my emotions like a dam about to burst.

"Well, believe it. This is as real as it gets. You've got my heart, Bella. And I'll keep yours safe in my hands for as long as you'll let me." His words wash over me like sweet relief and penetrate my soul.

"How does forever sound?" I reply, hopeful.

He just smiles and it's like when the sun comes from behind a cloud and changes the mood of the entire day.

"Forever. With pleasure."

~~~~~L~A~S~T~C~A~L~L~~~~~

Driving into work, my heart is racing.

I'm going to walk in with my boyfriend.

My boyfriend, Edward Cullen.

I think I may burst blood vessels in my face, my smile is straining so much.

After getting out of the shower this morning, we tumbled into bed, naked. Well, Edward was naked. I was wearing simple pale blue bikini panties.

Edward whimpered at my selection knowing he could look but not touch.

He forgave me moments later, when I allowed him to wrap his left arm around me and hold onto my boob while we slept.

We didn't open our eyes again until after one.

I made us my favorite lunch specialty: peanut butter and jelly (grape, of course) on potato bread with a tall glass of chocolate milk.

We enjoyed every crumb and every drop like lazy bums, in my bed.

Edward rubbed his firmly-toned belly in satisfaction. Both of us enjoying our full stomachs because we were starving, having not eaten since our late-night turkey wrap snack, devoured while we huddled together in the tent.

He whined, watching me get dressed in my denim mini skirt and my Last Call tank top. Once I matched my panties with their coordinating bra, Edward was done for.

He rolled over, burying his face in the pillows, grumbling in frustration over not being able to truly and physically convey his appreciation for my choice of undergarments.

We drove over to his parents' house so that he could get some clean clothes. Not that I was complaining at all over what Edward looked like prior to his changing.

He left my house wearing his jeans.

That's it. Just. Faded. Fucking. Jeans.

No boxers, no shirt, no socks, no shoes...they were all too dirty to put back on, according to him. And since he couldn't exactly walk out of my house stark raving naked, he just wore jeans.

And for a second day in a row, my now-saturated panties are rendered useless.

It's only after Edward silences the radio and turns the car off that I realize we've arrived at the bar.

"Ready, pretty girl?" He asks, reaching out his hand.

I nod, "Ready."

Edward holds my hand all the way to the door, pulls it open for me and steals a kiss as I pass through the entrance.

Several patrons at the bar nod, smile and lift their beers acknowledging our arrival. I smile and look down, of course, and Edward calls out hellos to each of them, addressing them by name.

Still grasping my hand, our fingers threaded together, he leads us to his office.

I clock in as he takes his seat and gets started on his Monday paperwork.

"I'll see you out there, 'kay?" I say, dropping my purse in the desk drawer and tying the little black apron around my waist.

I turn for the door and he grabs the bottom of my skirt, yanking me back before I take another step.

"What, leaving without saying goodbye?" He smiles and puckers his lips.

What a corndog.

"I wouldn't dream of it!" I lean down, giving him the peck he requests and lingering for a few more.

"I'll be out there in a few. I just want to go over these receipts. Let J know, okay?"

"Yeah, sure."

Noooo problem.

Time to face the music and get this first talk with James out of the way.

James looks up at the exact moment I'm walking out of the office. "Well, there you are!" I smile as he offers me a wink. "So! How was your holiday weekend?" He teases, silly voice and all.

I decide to go along with it. If he wants to make light of any awkwardness, I'm fine with that. It makes it easier on the both of us.

Again, James shows himself to be a selfless, kind-hearted guy.

"Meh. Uneventful. How 'bout yours?"

He explodes in boisterous laughter. "You wouldn't believe it if I told you! Get over here!"

I walk over to his open arms as he pulls me in for a sweet hug.

"Hey. I don't want you worried about us, okay?" he says, rubbing my back. "You and I are fine; Edward and I are fine. Honestly, I'm just happy I know the whole story now. Teenage guys don't necessarily confide in their little brothers. All those years ago, I think E and I rarely engaged in conversation other than 'pass the chips' and 'where'd you put the remote?'. We never considered opening up to the other, let alone seeking advice on girls."

I smile, thinking about Edward and James as younger versions of themselves.

"Seriously. Don't clam up or get shy around me, okay? We were friends last week, I want us to be friends from now on, alright?"

"Okay. And thank you...for being so understanding. I finally am starting to put the pieces of my life back together. Between the stories your brother has shared and the gaps I've filled in with my old journal, it's helping me so much."

"You found a journal? That's fantastic."

"It is. So far, it's been a good thing. I hope I don't regret it if I start to find out some bad stuff, you know?" I shrug, that worry still a lingering concern in my head.

"Hey, listen. You can't change what happened in the past. All you can do is be who you are now. Anyone who's not willing to see that, or accept you for the person you are now, certainly isn't worth holding onto. You've got so many friends surrounding you with love. Don't let any of those people from your past steal your sunshine. Got it?"

I nod as he squeezes me once more. "I've got it. Thank you."

"You're welcome. And thank you, too! I don't think I've ever seen or heard my brother sound so genuinely happy. I know it's thanks to you."

"James, can I get a pitcher of MGD?"

We let go of each other and he gives me a wink, "Sure thing, Katydid."

I turn to look at Kate. She's leaning on the bar, a lovely smile gracing her face.

"Good weekend, Bella?" She asks, nonchalantly.

I shrug. "Mehh...ho-hum at best," I attempt to deliver with a straight face.

We both burst into uproarious laughter.

"If that look on your face and the sway of your hips is the result of a 'ho-hum' weekend, I can't wait to see when you've had a great one!"

I step around the bar and sidle up next to her. She nudges me with her hip. "I'm happy for you, you know. Edward's just been going through the motions for the last couple of years. Acting happy enough on the outside, but wistful, y'know? With you, though… he's got a new pep in his step. And I know I haven't really seen you both 'together', but your presence around him has lifted his spirit, his personality. He's more fun. He's Edward 2.0."

My eyes widen at her expression.

"What did you say? Edward 2.0? That's what Emmett says that I became when I woke up from my coma all those years ago!"

She smiles, thoughtfully, "Makes sense, doesn't it...he just woke up from a coma, too!"

Kate gives me a wink and walks away with her order just as Edward comes out of his office, grinning like a goofball.

"What's going on?" I speak under my breath as he approaches me. "You look like you've got something on your mind."

"I do! I've got you on my mind." He dives into my neck and plants a wet, smacking kiss.

"Oh boy, here we go!" I hear James shouting and whistling from the other side of the bar, a couple of customers chuckling along the way.

"Am I gonna have to start scheduling the two of you on opposite shifts?" He asks walking toward us, a smirk on his face.

Edward grumbles and rolls his eyes. "I suppose I had that coming," Edward deadpans. "You taking on the scheduling then, J?"

"What? Oh, hell no. If keeping you two apart during work hours requires me taking on the scheduling, you can forget it! Please work together! Work every shift together if you want!"

We all laugh at James's response.

"Okay!" Edward starts, "you heard the man, everybody back to work!"

2 comments:

  1. Gotta say, It's 0246....just got off a 12 hours exhausting shift in the ED and couldn't wait to relax with a cup of tea and the next few chapters. Winding down time at it's best, and a nice uplifting chapter is just what I needed to take the "depressing" out of my day. Thanks, I really needed this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad this chapter helped you unwind and was your antidote to a difficult day. Hope the rest of the chapters give you smiles as well. Thanks so much for being here for the ride. xo, Yummy

      Delete